Sunday 23 August 2015

Always summer Pt. deux - featuring the milky way and the northern lights

It's no secret i'm a big fan of the summer isles.

I'm lucky enough to work there quite often and i have run several trips to these incredible islands in the north west of the highlands this year.

I've just returned from guiding two back to back expeds with Wilderness Scotland, adventuring in among the skerries, caves and cliffs that make this area so special.



With very little light pollution that far north and having recently bought a wide aperture fish-eye lens, i thought i'd get up in the early hours to have a stab at some Astro-photography.
A test shot from the comfort of my tent made me realise i had a chance to shoot something else i'd been wanting to witness since moving to Scotland...



 The Northern lights are quite often visible in the highlands, but i've never been able to catch them due to various reasons, normally a lot of cloud cover, so I was very excited to get these shots.
Hopping out my tent i wandered around the beach on which we were camped snapping away, playing with various settings, often not sure whether to capture the amazing milky way, or the aurora!





As this was my first ever attempt at astro-photography, i'm content with the results, but i learnt a lot and have a few things to try next time.
Another clear night two nights later gave me the chance to get up again and try and get a few more shots of the stars. This time i decided to play with lighting up the Tipi, which worked quite well i think!




No comments:

Post a Comment